On Tuesday, August 7th, with the planet Uranus going retrograde, we will now be under the influence of six planets in retrograde for the next two weeks, until the 19th when Mercury returns direct and Mars returns direct on the 27th. In addition, we have the last eclipse of the year, a solar eclipse occurring on the 11th. What is the Universe trying to say to us with all of this heavenly activity this month? It is encouraging us to stop pushing forward right now and take some time to reflect on our past. There is much opportunity this month for healing our hearts and souls and elevating the collective consciousness of our planet if we do so!
Below are some ideas to consider that will help you navigate this month, until the energy starts flowing again next month:
- Take a vacation. Vacations do not have to be a week long event that requires a great deal of planning and money. Consider planning a day retreat or a weekend away. Simply finding yourself in a different place for a short period of time can shift your perspective. Have you always wanted to visit a particular local city to immerse yourself in a different culture? Or has a certain spiritual center or temple been calling your soul? Or have you been planning to try a new hiking trail that someone recommended to you? Now’s the time to just do it!
- Spend time in nature. With the heat of the summer, we might be finding ourselves spending more time inside in the air-conditioning. While, in the short term, being inside where it might be cooler can be beneficial, especially at the peak of the heat during the day, avoiding the outdoors for any length of time can wreak havoc on our body, mind and spiritual health. Try to plan a early morning or late evening walk near a body of water, like a lake or the ocean, or taking a hike where there are canopies of trees. Create an opportunity to sit down at some point and set an intention to notice the smallest form of life, maybe through your eyes, ears or skin. Watch that life move for a short time and sense your connection to it. Reflect on how you might impact that life and how that life might impact you.
- Review and renew commitments. With Mercury retrograde at this time, we are reminded that now is not a good time to start anything new, especially when a legal contract is required. So, instead, we can take this time to review previously made commitments and determine if any adjustments might need to be made. We might reflect on those that seem effortless and those that require more effort. And for those that require more effort, we might ask ourselves is the amount of effort we are expending outweighing the return in soul nourishment? From our reflections, it might become very clear where we need to focus our energy and renew our commitment to it. And, in doing so, other commitments might need to be transferred or released from our lives.
- Practice gratitude. When our lives might begin to feel a little stagnant or stuck, having ‘an attitude of gratitude’ has been shown to be the wind beneath our wings that can lift us out of a rut. So, as the universal energy is supporting this time in reflection, keep the handy tool of gratitude with you at all times. Schedule a gratitude break each day. Express your gratitude to another, whether it is simply to share something you are grateful for with them or to share your gratitude for them. Dig out your gratitude journal or start a new one. Merely reading a past gratitude journal can remind our hearts and souls of the abundance that already exists in our lives without having to push forward and grasp for more!
- Read. Speaking of reading, now is a great time to pick up that book you have been meaning to read. When we allow our minds to be engrossed by a good book, it is like a vacation from our thoughts! When we spend time in reflection of our past, gaining awareness of how our experiences in life impacted our beliefs, thoughts and emotions, we open ourselves up for a deeper understanding of how connected we really are in the human form. And often, in this space, when we read, we discover new things about ourselves that might have been hidden (or forbidden) from revealing themselves before.