February is International Friendship Month!
Friends are our family of choice and this month we get to celebrate that family! Over the past two years, we have needed our friends more than ever, whether they speak, bark or purr. Such connections can warm our hearts and calm our minds. And the power of these connections goes beyond the individual level to our communities and to our nations, bringing security and comfort to all.
Below are intention-setting ideas to honor the friendships in our lives this month. It is my hope you will try one and lean into the feelings that arise from such connections!
- Write a Letter. Consider writing a heart-felt letter to a childhood friend, expressing what that friendship has meant to you.
- Plan a Gathering. Whether it is a morning gathering for tea or a weekend getaway, make a plan to come together to celebrate your friendship. Perhaps dedicate some time to share with each other what brought you together and what has kept you connected.
- Friendship Movies. Perhaps plan a movie night with friends, which can even be done remotely, if that might feel safer at this time. Some ideas for movies that reflect various flavors of friendship include: First Wives Club, White Fang, The Hangover, The Lion King, Bridesmaids, Star Wars, and one of my favorites, Hachi: A Dog’s Tale. You might even consider having a box of tissues handy!
- Adopt a Best Friend. If you have been considering adopting a pet, perhaps this is the month you actually visit a shelter or contact a rescue organization to start the process!
- Be Your Own Best Friend. What would it be like if you treated yourself like you treat your best friend? What would you do for yourself? What would you say to yourself? Perhaps pick a day this month to do just that, offering yourself compassion in those challenging moments, treating yourself to your favorite dessert without judgment, and setting aside time to do something you have been wanting to do, but have not allowed yourself to do it. Afterwards, journal about how it felt to embrace yourself as your own best friend!
As always, if you try any of these intention-setting ideas for holistic health, I would love to hear about the impact they might have had for you. Please send me an email at email@example.com to share!